Applying for ACTO Professional Membership Status
NEW!!! Not sure if you qualify? ACTO now offers a grandparenting route. You can download the form here.
If you can answer yes to all of the following, you are eligible to apply for ACTO Professional Membership with the use of the title ‘ACTO Professional Member’.
- Includes a supervised placement as an integral part of the course and is recognised by the BACP, UKCP, BPS,NCS or other professional membership body? (If your professional body is not one of those three we may have to make extra checks before processing your application).
- Are you a member of a professional body that has an official complaints procedure (e.g. BACP, UKCP, BPS) and can supply proof, when renewing ACTO membership, of continuing membership of that professional body? (If your professional body is not one of those three we may have to make extra checks before processing your application).
Acto minimum criteria for qualifying courses
All ACTO Online Training Providers offer a range of online therapy training courses. To be eligible for ACTO Online Training Provider membership a training organisation must offer at least one course that meets the ACTO minimum criteria that would qualify students to be eligible for ACTO Professional membership. The basis as a minimum for this criteria is that the course includes:
- A minimum of 80 hours’ certified training
- Training across some of the four formats: video, audio, email and live chat
- The criteria set out in the BACP Stokes (2016) Telephone and E-Counselling Curriculum
Please note that Professional Members are only accepted if they have completed a course fulfilling these criteria, and if in doubt about a course’s suitability the Online Training Provider will be asked to provide evidence that it reaches the minimum criteria.
We encourage current members who have not reached this level to consider upskilling to this level as a minimum.
“A minimum standard is a FLOOR upon which we stand but must never go below. It is NOT and (must never be allowed to be) a ceiling which cannot be exceeded.” (Welbourne, J, 01/10/03)
Stokes, A. (2016). A research-based current framework for telephone and e-counselling: Telephone and E-Counselling Training Curriculum. Lutterworth: British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. 1st February 2016. https://www.bacp.co.uk/media/2046/bacp-telephone-ecounselling-training-curriculum.pdf [Last accessed 06/07/2019]
Welbourne, J, private communication with Pip Weitz. 01/10/03.
You'll find fuller details in the Information for Professional Member Applicants download to the right, along with the application form. If you have any queries please email our admin.
Not sure you qualify for professional membership?
"Perhaps consider our grand parenting route to membership?"