- This event has passed.
Safeguarding Student Mental Health Conference
26th November 2019 @ 9:00 am - 15th May 2020 @ 5:30 pmview rates on the event page
Open Forum will be holding a follow-up event to our Improving Student Mental Health Outcomes conference, with a focus on topics raised in feedback from delegates that attended the previous event.
May's event facilitated a wide discussion on institutional cultures and practical, strategic approaches towards safeguarding students, including; the importance of preventative care earlier in life to develop resilience in children and young people before they reach FE/HE, assessing pitfalls in the transition from living at home to living at university, addressing student suicide rates and integrating the science of compassion into HE curriculums.
This conference will expand the conversation to include dedicated keynotes and panel discussions covering:
- Parity of esteem between data and human protection; is data protection prioritised over student safety.
- The considerable impact of poor student finance provision on young people's mental health - how can legislators improve access to fiscal support at university.
- The impact of drug use on student MH.
- Innovative new ideas assisted by emerging technologies that are providing platforms for universities to identify mental health issues before they become a crisis.
- How social media compounds perfectionist thinking.
- Effective language that can be used to engage students with concepts of mindfulness, emotional resilience and positive psychology.
- The importance halls of residence, HE estates and facilities play in promoting positive mental health outcomes.
- Overcoming barriers to care that are unique to FE/HE; such as students accessing therapy on campus but returning home for summer - or recognising the difficulty staff face in supporting students who are far from home.