I was appointed a Director of ACTO in September 2018 taking on the role of International Director from Pip Weitz on 1st November 2017. I have been involved with the European Association for Psychotherapy (EAP) since 2002 and was President/Vice President between 2009-2015; previously I was General Secretary and Vice-Chair of UKCP from 2002-2009.
The role of the International Director is to pay attention to the international context of ACTO’s work and of online counselling and psychotherapy. I see my priorities as being:
- To scope and map out the international legal and professional context of online therapy;
- To identify and engage with organisations and individuals having responsibility for, or interest in, the regulation and practice of online therapy;
- To work towards establishing agreed Codes of Ethics and Conduct and of Training Standards;
- To promote the establishment of internationally accepted ‘therapy passports’ for practitioners.
To these ends I am engaged in – or working towards – the following tasks
- Heading up a working group of the EAP on online therapy;
- Co-operating with other European parties to secure funding for a researcher to further the aims highlighted above;
- Making links with the European Association for Counselling to promote joint working;
- Making international links to scope individual and organisational resources.
At present, this is a ‘slow-burn’ project, but I anticipate momentum to increase significantly over the next 12 months.
Adrian M. Rhodes,
Download the Word version here